Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Illness Lottery

In the illness lottery, depression is not always the best one to get. It is not as catchy or as popular as some other illnesses. They don't have many bracelets, walks, or fundraisers for depression, like they do other illness. People don't wear depression survivor pins. Depression is still--for the most part--a hidden disease. I am as guilty as the next on that. But, what we do have for depression strugglers, is a vast array of medications, therapies, and other remedies. We have, what.....hundreds....of antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, mood stabilizers, and anti-psychotic medications. We have choices and options. And we have a lot of control over our illness that other strugglers with other illnesses do not. My mother had cancer. And she died of it. It has been the pain of my life. I am guessing my mother, and most other cancer strugglers, would gladly choose depression over cancer. At least there is an element of control, treatments with minor side-effects, and a much lower mortality rate. For many reasons, I am blessed that, for all of the illnesses and problems in the world, that I have this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment